Friday, January 06, 2006

My Life in School (Part 1 of 4)

Since my "true" school days will be comming to an end in the next 18 months, I would like to share with you my days in Grade School and High School. You'll hear about my first two friends.

I started out Kindagarten at Louisville Deaf Oral Schoo, since I have 80% hearing loss in my left ear and 60% hearing loss in my right ear. I've been deaf all my life and I wear a hearing aid. People are surprised that three of us in my class were told we could go to a regular school and be successful. The other 8 were probably on their way to Kentucky School for the Deaf.

The funny thing is that three of us were the only ones who could talk real well, so they got a head start on us. Most kids spend two years in Kindagarten at LDOS. Us three did, but we had a half day at our grade schools. (We were all Catholic and went to private schools) So we would spend the morning at our grade school and then the rest of the day at LDOS except for me since my school didn't start at 7:30 and end at 2. We started at 8:10 and ended at 3 so I went back to school for story hour. They made sure my bus left first.

Well my parents would see the girl parents every now and then. We played soccer against each other once. It was a Co-ed league since most schools didn't have an all girl or boy. So I ended up playing against her once. But it wasn't a buddy buddy relationship with either of them.

The boy who was my buddy, we didn't see for the rest of grade school. Until one day, on the day freshmans were registering and getting books, my Mom is like is that Shane (his name) I was like shit. We talk a little bit but we have our own friends now. I've been in his Math class all three years.

What a hecuva kindagarten. Being at two schools for a half a day. The next one will probably be out late tonight at like 1 or 2 since it is a weekend.

5 Comments:

Blogger volsfan said...

Thanks for sharing UK! I had no idea you had lost most of your hearing. Was it hard meshing in with the others after leaving the deaf school?

10:02 PM  
Blogger ukrocks said...

Nope, because I was at my parish school. You get to know people pretty quick when your school has only 275 people.

10:19 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Oh cool! I can't wait to read the rest. Thanks for sharing your story. I had no idea of your hearing problem!

*goes to part 2*

10:34 AM  
Blogger Puffy said...

I just got here and am excited to read your next installments.
*smooch*

3:52 PM  
Blogger Seana said...

I just got here too.

Moving on to part 2.

Thanks for sharing!

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home