Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Its Spring Break!

I took my college visits on Monday and Tuesday night.

The first stop was Murray State in Murray Kentucky in the southwestern part of the state. It is about a four hour drive from home. Iwas really impressed by the Murray folks. Our tour guide was really friendly. Plus she was from Louisville. A lot of the tour people rolled there eyes when they heard where she was from because they were from the middle of nowhere like Danville Kentucky or Cave Creek Kentucky.

We enjoyed the tour. She talked about the things to do from a Louisville standpoint because she doesn't know what it was like to live out in the country like the other folks. She said you probably won't leave campus very much. She was very friendly and said she enjoyed seeing people from Louisville come down and see them in Murray because people find out it isn't so bad.

Murray State campus size is about 9000-10000 peeps.

The second visit was to Western Kentucky in Bowling Green, in South Central Kentucky. About 45 minuites to an hour north of Nashville and about an hour and a half from home.

We were not impressed with the tour guide. They really didn't give us the inside scoop. They didn't give us their personal opinion like the Murray tour guide. The campus is beautful on a hill overlooking Bowling Green. The campus is pretty nice.

The differences between Murray and Western isvery obvious. I like the unique Murray campus layout. All the dorm rooms are togeather. All the academic offices are togeather. All the offices are togeather. The food places are spread out on campus with a bunch of them in the student activities center.

Meanwhile Western is a typical campus with dorms everywhere and classrooms everywhere. Another difference is the personality. The Murray tour guide constantly was hey to numerous people and poeople waving at her and students yelling welcome to Murray. Where as Western, they didn't seem to wave at anybody. I think it is easier to be friends with a lot of people at Murray than WKU.

Right now Murray is ahead of WKU with a visit to my third and last choice UK.

5 Comments:

Blogger Puffy said...

This is an exciting time. College visits are great. Check out how the main requirement for being a guide is the ability to walk backwards.

2:17 AM  
Blogger Seana said...

Well, I still hope you get into UK. I assume it's your first choice? Otherwise, that Murray place sounds good. One of the great things about university is that it can be very social. I commuted from home to university, and so didn't care about making friends. I had friends already. I went to learn.

Well, OK, and to play euchre in The Phoenix. I wasted my first year playing cards in the grad bar with a bunch of people that I otherwise never talked to. Heh.

Don't do that, OK? You'll end up at mid-term realising that if you want to be able to pick a major, you'll have to work your butt off to pull up your average. At my school you needed a B average to pick a 3-year major and B+ for a 4-year honours degree. Boy, did I have to work for that.

Still, I love euchre.

9:42 AM  
Blogger ukrocks said...

Seana, actually Murray might of surged ahead of UK. I want to get out of Louisville. I've been here for 18 years. Well, lets just say its time to leave Louisville. Its should be an interesting year trying topick where I'm going to go.

Puffy, but the Murray person, I think really enjoyed it there. LOL!

12:20 PM  
Blogger volsfan said...

Sounds like so much fun! I really enjoyed my college visits and think you should too. I say go visit UK and just blow it out and have fun!

Why not?

7:09 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Oooh! How exciting! Murray seems like the visit that went especially well. Based on that, it is probably worth the effort to get more info and possibly start filling out applications.

Of course, you will have to see how your visit to UK goes! I'm sure you will let us know when that happens.

Remember, you can always apply to both and see how it goes!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home