Monday, June 05, 2006

My Job

If you remember back in Febraury, I got a job at a local grocery. I am a cashier. I like the job. Its pretty good pay for a teen, 6.20. Most teens make mininum wage which is like 5.50. I like most of the workers. There is a head cashier who gets on my nerve sometimes. She is a very impatient person and organized person but I am starting to get along with her better.

I enjoy being a cashier. I do have a couple of pet peeves though. You might think this is wrong but it just my opinion.

I do not like it when people use a check to pay for the groceries. It takes to long. Way to long. One time the Head Cashier who gets on my nerve sometimes came to look at a check and immediately called the manager because she thought it was bad. And the lines got really long because she argued with her and the manager. I also don't like how long it takes, because I have to write down the drivers license number, their birth date and I have to put it in a printer thingy. I wish they would just get a debit card. Of course there is one bank that doesn't have a debit card so I don't mind their checks.

Another one is not helping bagging. My store has really low prices. It is because we don't hire any baggers. So we expect the customers to bag for themselve. But most of them never do. We are about to hire baggers and raise prices to what Krogers and Meijes do or we will charge them if they don't bag themselves. So often times I am bagging all their stuff.

All the co-workers are really nice and friendly. My store hires mainly people who are teenagers not adults. They think it makes for a better enviroment. The new people that we just hired are annoying though. We have hired about 7 new cashiers in the last month. Tomorrow though is the first day when we go back to cashiers hired in the winter work together and the new ones work on a different today, like today and Friday. We get all the hours this week and they are only working 2 days this weeks. Meanwhile one cashier and I are working five days this week.

But its been pretty nice on the job.

8 Comments:

Blogger ~Nutz said...

Every job has it's ups and downs. Lucky you, for the most part you are enjoying yourself.

8:46 AM  
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Glad you are enjoying your job. Sounds like it's a good fit for you.

Try to be sympathetic to the check writers. Some are older and aren't used to even having a credit card. And often they don't trust the technology or can't see the fancy new machines prompts very well. A few older people I know can't comprehend the difference between a debit card & credit card and they "don't want a credit card."

Then there is the family that has to float a check because payday isn't until tomorrow but they really need the food today...or won't be able to make it to the grocery store in the next few days, so tonight is the only night they can shop.

Then there are folks that sometimes lose their debit cards or have had their number compromised and must wait for a new one.

Then there are people that spend too much money due to easy ATM access, so choose not to carry their card and just used checks for necessary purchases (gas & groceries).

So I agree, sometimes it takes too long & is a pain, but try to be sympathetic. I think as the generation gap grows, the "old fashioned" way of doing things is going to really irritate people. :-)

12:27 PM  
Blogger Puffy said...

Minimum wage here is $6.75 and there's legislation pending to raise it to $7.75.

Kim made a very good point.

1:34 AM  
Blogger volsfan said...

Great to hear you are liking your job!

I agree with Kim...my mom and dad have a debit card and it took them for ever to understand exactly how it worked and it WASN'T a credit card. Mom still writes checks unless I am with her so I can scan her card.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Seana said...

Glad your job is mostly good.

The cashiers at the low-cost grocery store I go to don't bag for you. If you don't do it, your groceries just sit there. They will shove the groceries down the conveyor belt, if you haven't moved the groceries fast enough, though. So I guess that's kind of helping.

You know, I haven't seen anyone pay for groceries with a cheque in years. It really is an incredible hassle and most places won't take them, since they get so many bad ones.

Do you get a discount on your groceries at all? That would be cool.

Because I'm old and free groceries is cool to me.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Seana said...

Glad your job is mostly good.

The cashiers at the low-cost grocery store I go to don't bag for you. If you don't do it, your groceries just sit there. They will shove the groceries down the conveyor belt, if you haven't moved the groceries fast enough, though. So I guess that's kind of helping.

You know, I haven't seen anyone pay for groceries with a cheque in years. It really is an incredible hassle and most places won't take them, since they get so many bad ones.

Do you get a discount on your groceries at all? That would be cool.

Because I'm old and free groceries is cool to me.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Zombs said...

Ahhh I worked in a supermarket for 7 years and it was the best job of my life! WE had so much fun. The freinds I made there are the ones I have today. SEveral of my friends met their spouses there as well.

WE never had baggers, oh and we used to "hand ring" the groceries up before scanners. Then I remember when the store converted to scanners.

I agree about the checks but I cut people some slack if they are older. However it bugs me when they don't the check ready.

I prefer to bag my own stuff anyway. I know where everything goes. Enjoy your job! It really is a great job to have when you are young!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

"Sure, I can write you a check! I thought you wanted MONEY!"

--Jeff Foxworthy

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home